Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Prom Night


As I'm certain is the case with most of the beauty teachers on Youtube, I get my share of requests for 'prom looks'. Of course, for the typical American teenage girl, Prom Night is second only to their future wedding day when it comes to style. Little girls dream about it, gaze at the prom-going public wistfully, and anxiously await the day that will go down in photo history. I personally never had an interest in school dances. Most of my friends were older than I; the kids at school were merely 'acquaintances'. Therefore, I skipped my Prom. But I'll be the first to admit that from the time I was about 14 years old, I enjoyed going into the local 'formal-wear' shops with my buddy Heather, trying on dresses and twirling in front of the mirror. It was the thrill of the hunt, the anxiety of the fit, the glamour of something different.

Nowadays, it seems that the gals are growing up too fast. 'Prommy' types are seen from around March through May, catting around town in a stretch limo, sporting sequined slinky gowns and smokey eyes. Sultry, dramatic smokey eyes. I don't begrudge these gals their smokey looks certainly, but the thing that bothers me is how very 'adult' they will look in their Prom photos. So when I decided to do this prom look, I took that into account. Vintage style is my specialty, after all, so why not give the girls something else in the makeup department...something fresh, young, but still classically glamorous. I call it the 'anti-smokey eye'. Though retro style calls to mind a red lip, I opted for a deep pink which is more suitable to Shaina's age and isn't as likely to rub off unflatteringly, during the night.





For the hair, I chose to give my lovely model Shaina a side swept up do that still had a polished 1940's/50's appearance. It will work with just about any hair texture and is relatively simple to create, though it looks complex in photos. One thing I had to embrace is the fact that even though 'up dos' are typical for prom hairstyling, there is a solid reason for that. We've all seen those late-night prom patrons who opted to wear their hair loose...rarely does the style hold up. So an up do we created, but one that will be timeless and memorable in photos. It will remain soft-looking over the course of the night, and is blowzy enough in its construction so that if a few strands come loose, no harm-no foul. To accessorize the look, go with something that suits the gown of your choice. If you opt for a flower, make sure to choose something a bit more elegant-such as an orchid or rose.
Full list of Products Used:
On Face: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer
Revlon COlorstay Under-Eye Concealer
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
Cover Girl White Shimmer Shadow (name rubbed off)
Senna Cosmetics Natural Palette
Yogurt Eyeshadow by MAC
Satin Taupe Eye Shadow by MAC
Stila Eyeshadow in 'Kitten'
Ben Nye Cake Liner in Black
Loreal Clean Definition Telescopic in Very Black
Senna Cosmetics Lip Sync Duo in Paris Pink
Ardell 301 Lashes
Sigma Beauty-Blush in 'Some Girls'





Hair: Tre Semme Heat Tamer Spray
Aussie Sun Touched Shine Hairspray
Layrite Pomade
Orchid Clip from Belle Blossoms

Video Tutorial, featuring the music of the Ray Collins Hot Club: